It is the season to be outdoors and running in some beautiful fresh air and sunshine! With plenty of trail run events and triathlons coming up over the next few months it is a great time to be doing some running training. Whether you are a seasoned runner, a professional athlete or a complete newbie to running, with the nice weather (fingers crossed) coming our way it is a great time to get outside on to the trails for a run.
So whether you have a key race locked in, or you are just running for fun, optimising what you put in your mouth will help you get more performance from your legs, let you recover quicker, and promote optimal immune function so you don’t get run down.
To get your nutrition on track for your running goals I have answered a few of the most common questions I get asked by runners during consultations.
To read the questions and answers jump over to the Register Now blog, where I posted this article.
I’ve also included my post-run recovery smoothie below.
Post run recovery smoothie
- 1 cup of raw unsweetened Nutty Bruce almond milk
- 1/2 – 3/4 of a cup of frozen berries
- 2 tblsp of INCA organics natural whey protein powder
- 2 tblsp of traditional rolled oats
- 2 tblsp of Organic Schulz natural yoghurt
- 1 tbslp of raw cacao powder
- 1 tblsp of natural evolutions green banana starch
- Optional – add half a fresh or frozen banana for extra sweetness!
- Blend all ingredients and enjoy 🙂